Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Reading Experience

Written By: Leilani Reis-Kane
Edited By: James Carrigan


There is a tremendously great feeling when people share their knowledge, skills, talents, and worth with each other. Being able to help impact and influence an educational system can result in a positive change for the future. The students at Palindan Elementary School in Ibaan, Batangas, in August 2002, were able to experience storytelling brought to them by The New Humanist Movement. Various Tagalog and English stories were read to the students in pre-kindergarten through sixth grade. Then a brief discussion followed, which was lead by principal Dolly Malata. The very attentive and eager-to-learn students were impressive with their correct answers and open ears. As an American I was amazed at this Filipino public school; many American public schools cannot compete with the students’ kind appreciation for foreign visitors and respectful attitudes towards their elders and each other. These students are taught to have conservative and structured behavior patterns that are exemplified by their positive attitudes.

I read two different stories in English to the fifth and sixth grade classes that incorporated various values such as, education, poverty, social and living conditions, and survival skills. Since I do not speak Tagalog it was best that I share with the older children. At first I was very nervous, as I was not sure about their English comprehension level and I was afraid that they would not understand my accent. I had also noticed that when I made eye contact with the students while I was reading many of their faces were lit up and highly attentive. This reaction gave me a charmed feeling towards

the students and my participation in the school event. I feel that this reading experience was not only beneficial for the students, but for myself as well.

I later discovered that many of the students understood the stories and had few questions. The students left me with a positive everlasting impression, because they were interested in what I had to share with them. This was a truly rewarding experience for both of us. I found myself asking how bright, intelligent, and kind-hearted students at such a young age could be exposed to English when, at their age, I did not know half of what they know. I also began to ponder the fact that they are not racially mixed, and I am of mixed origins: Where does that put their racial and cultural exposure? Were they even aware of this before I stepped into the room? But putting these little nuances aside, I found myself enchanted by a different culture and educational training level that allows students to progress and mature quickly. Being able to share stories in English to these students was a blessing in itself and reminded me how important reading can be to students.

No comments: