Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Brave Children of Brazil

by: Lorena Gutierrez

FRIENDS OF THE FAVELAS PROJECT:
Interlagos Youth Center

I spent only one month in Brazil, but the memories and friends I made in that brief time, will always remain with me for the rest of my life. These musings are not the romantic point of view of one Filipina-American but that of someone who saw the harsh reality of life through the eyes of the soulful, passionate, and charismatic people of Brazil.

For three weeks I lived in an impoverished area called Interlagos in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I also spent one week in a middle class suburbs called Meir in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I did not do the usual tourist activities; I actually did not even get to visit the beaches during the day. I spent all my time connecting with and living the life of the locals. It was because of this that I was able to observe and register what the Brazilians lives were like. Their lives were at times challenging, but always filled with joy.

I stayed with a Humanist movement member named Paula; she lives with her parents and sister in what resembles American tenement housing. But she and her family are the previledged ones, most families live in the surrounding slums called the favelas. Even with all the hardships of life, everyone I met seemed to have an infectious
smile and a welcoming heart.

Paula and I decided that we needed to do something to improve the quality of life of the children and families in her neighborhood. I wanted to be involved in this Humanist project because I truly fell in love with the people around me. I wanted to do something positive for the children as my brother LOVE would have done. We began the Friends of the Favelas project. Hoping to establish the first youth center in Interlagos.


Most children from the favelas of Brazil are left on their own during the day while their parents are at work. They have nowhere to go before and after school. The majority of the favela children end up in the streets and because of this there are gangs, widespread drug use, and teenage pregnancies. The gangs and drug dealers in the favelas cause much of the existing violence. The children face these struggles day in and day out. They need a safe place to go, an environment which allows them to enjoy their childhood and to be involved in extracurricular activities. Thus, the idea for a youth center was born.

Education is of the utmost importance and since I am a teacher, the children and I will be involved in learning. I will teach them English and Art. They will in turn teach me how it is to learn without limits and to register the human within me.
I will spend the whole summer 2003 with them and I am inviting those interested to join me in Brazil.

No comments: